There are lots of graphic designing software programmes that people use to learn the basics of designing and create an excellent design, but not all software are of industry standard. Professionals tend to use only 4 or 5 well-known software. The main reason is to show their own talent, uniqueness, and creativity rather than designing something in an already available template.
To make your designing task easier, I am sharing some insights about the industry standard software and their updated features.
This software has been serving graphic designers for more than 25 years and is still the most preferred one in the market. Though Photoshop is used to create a basic design structure for digital platforms,it still is used by the amateurs to edit and manipulate the photos.
Important features of Photoshop are listed below
You may know that you can edit, design and manipulate an image on different layers in Photoshop. Photoshop’s updated version allows you to blend and stretch all the layers at the same time. With layer styles options you can either select different styles for different layers or the same style for all the layers.
To Transform a layer
1. Select a single or multiple layers in the layer’s panel by clicking on the layers and holding the CTRL button.
2. Unlink the mask and select the mask thumbnail to transform a layer mask
3. To transform the shape or path of a vector image wholly, select path selection tool or to transform it partially, select the direction tool and keep the points on the desired segments.
4. After selecting, click Edit > Transform. It offers you a variety of options and you can choose the one that you require.
Blur gallery is a panel of tools that help you to create different blur effects. This tool is not only useful for designers but also for photographers to analyze the blur effects that each lens may create.
To Create a Blur effect
1. Select the whole image or the portions that you intend to blur
2. Go to the menu bar and select > Filter > Blur
3. You can choose different types of blurs that you can use for your image.
You can save files directly in Creative Cloud and share it with your clients without taking the effort to go directly. You can also share your progress with the clients and if at all you need to change something it can be done immediately.
How to Cloud Save
1. Save a file in your desktop
2. Open Creative cloud
3. Just drag the file and drop it in the CC box
Photoshop CS6 and CC has 3D tools with which you can create an effective 3D image. Meshes, Materials, Lights, Camera tools, Axis, Viewing and Texture are the components available in 3D.
To Change your work into 3D
1. Go to the 3D panel at the top of the page
2. Choose any one or many of the options displayed
3. You can change the image by either changing the settings on the Property Panel or dragging a particular object or light in the document window
Illustrator mainly allows the users to create vector images that can be turned into logos, illustrations, and icons. It also provides numerous options for the user to design any textual information. It is mainly used by professionals.
Important features of Illustrator are listed below
This tool tends to make the transformation of a vector image more natural. There are pins that you can add, move and rotate in any particular part of an image so that, only that part twists or turns.
To use Puppet Warp Tool
1. Select the image that you want to transform
2. Go to Tools panel and choose Puppet Warp Tool
3. Now place the pins on the points that you want to rotate or move and on the places that you want to be stable
4. Move the cursor to pin and rotate the mesh until you are content with the position
Illustrator allows you to change the size of the anchor points for clear visibility. The tools helps you while designing a complicated artwork or image with high resolution.
larger image size
Using Anchor Point Tool
1. Select the image or the path that you want to change
2. Go to Tools > Drawing Tools > Add Anchor Point Tool
3. Keep the cursor on the path and click
You can merge data from XML or CSV files in the variable panel. It allows you to merge two or three different templates or files to bring out your desired output.
To Merge Data
1. Prepare an XML or CSV file and save
2. Go to the Variables panel in the illustrator
3. Click Load Variable Library
4. Select the file to be merged and click open
You can import multi pages of Adobe PDF files all at once. You can choose to embed all the files on the same page or on range of pages based on your needs.
To Import Multiple PDFs
1. Go to File menu in Illustrator
2. Click Open
3. Select the PDF file to be imported in the Open Dialog Box
4. You can either choose All for the whole document or Range for particular pages
Indesign is used when there is a necessary to create multi-page layouts or master layouts. It is widely used for creating printed materials such as Business cards, Posters, Brochures, Newsletters, Books etc.
Integration of Typekit
Indesign being used mostly for print materials now has more than 700 fonts. Indesign CC allows you to choose from a variety of fonts with a similar type. For example, you can search ‘Italics’ and the fonts that are relevant to your search will appear below.
Adding Fonts from Typekit
1. Go to Type Menu in Indesign
2. Click Add Fonts from Typekit
3. You can now browse and choose the fonts that you desire
4. After you have initiated the Sync, the fonts will appear on the menu
You can export all your pages in separate PDFs at once. You don’t have to identify each page any more.
Export PDF in separate files
1. Select the File > Export option in Indesign
2. A dialog box will appear, wherein you will have to choose the Create Separate PDF files option
3. Define the information in the Suffix field
With the help of creative cloud libraries you can now share or move a document from Indesign to Illustrator without any changes in the format.
To Copy or Move
1. Select Windows > CC Libraries
2. Select Create New Library from Library panel and save the document
3. Right click on the saved document and choose Copy to or Move to
4. Choose the library to which it should be moved
Indesign users might be aware of the footnotes insertion, but the latest edition of Indesign allows you to create endnotes at the end of each page or a chapter as per your wish.
To add an Endnote
1. Insert the cursor by selecting the type tool and clicking on the document
2. Right click and choose Insert Endnote
3. Type the text
CorelDraw is slightly similar to illustrator however, it is was created as a drawing tool. CorelDraw is used for designing printing materials as it has a high-quality print image. It is recommended for beginners since it is very easy to use.
Live Sketch tool has been enhanced to bring in more accuracy. The tool with which you can create freehand vector curves has been adjusted to refine your input strokes.
The Block Shadow tool despite allowing you to add shadows to the vector image allows you to change the direction and the depth of the shadows.
Block Shadow Tool
1. Go to the Menu Toolbar
2. Right click and
3. Select the Block Shadow Tool
Corel Designer has developed a new feature through which you can share your design in the library of WordPress Media. So, you can publish your work from the application itself.
Exporting to WordPress
1. After completing the work, save the file
2. Select File> Export for > WordPress
This is yet again a new feature that is a boon to Corel Draw users. You can create nodes on existing images or create a new range of objects using symmetrical drawing. You can add effects to a specific part of the image.
To use Symmetry mode
1. Right click and choose Create New Symmetry
2. A mirror line will appear on the screen.
3. To exit the Symmetry mode click the Finish Editing Symmetry icon at the bottom
This tool helps to change the perspective of images and objects in a photo to achieve a visually aesthetic output.
How to adjust Perspective
1. Click the standard toolbar in CorelDraw
2. Select the Perspective Correction by expanding the menu
3. Drag the corners and change according to your needs
4. Double click to fix the position